A license is required to sell, stock, exhibit for sale, or distribute drugs. In order to open a retail drug store in any state, the following documents are needed for a new license.
- 1) Application (in duplicate) on Form 19 of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945. One copy is for biological drugs and the other is for non-biological drugs.
- 2) A fee of `1500 per license (total `of 3000) to be deposited in the State Bank of India/Government Treasury under the specific head for the grant of a retail sale license.
- 3) The following documents should be carried with the qualified person while submission of the fee:
- An attested copy of a Diploma in Pharmacy from any institution duly recognized by the Pharmacy Council of India
- An attested copy of the registration certificate issued by the State Pharmacy Council
- An attested copy of the matriculation certificate
- Affidavit from the qualified person in case he/she is an employee of a drug store.
- 4) Affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper, duly attested by a first class magistrate by each partner in case of partnership concern or by the proprietor in case of proprietorship concern.
- 5) A map of the retail drug store duly signed by the proprietor/partners of the firm.
- 6) Rent receipt in case of rented premises or an affidavit to that effect if the person is the owner of the premises.
- 7) A copy of the partnership deed in case of partnership concern.
- 8) Refrigerator purchase receipt.
The license is valid for a period of five years. It is required to be renewed for the next five years before its expiry.
The Pharmacy Council of India is planning to make it mandatory to wear a white coat bearing the name of the registered pharmacist who is running the retail pharmacy.